Sunday, September 11, 2011

Personal: Understanding 9/11 Through Communication Research - Post 9/11 Film, TV, Music and Editorial Cartoons

I remember clearly that September morning in 2001.

I awoke to the confusion on the television. The TV in my bedroom was set to come on like an alarm clock at 9:00 AM.   I didn't teach a morning class on Tuesday, so I worked late the night before.

I saw the images.  I saw the report that a plane had hit one of the towers at 8:43 AM.  The reporters struggled to make sense of it.  And then... at 9:03 AM the second plane hit the second tower. I sat and watched that TV in disbelief.  The death.  The destruction. It is kind of strange, but I don't remember that TV working after that day.  It just wouldn't work.

I was moved emotionally.  O.K. I'll admit it.  I cried as I called my wife at her work to tell her what had happened.

I was moved to understand what had happened. And, particularly I was moved to understand how we responded.  I've studied a variety of post-9/11 media texts using a variety of research methods.  I've studied post-9/11 editorial cartoons, popular music, film and television programs. Out of that drive to understand, I wrote or co-wrote four book chapters and three conference papers (see below).  If anybody would want to talk about these, I'd be more than happy.  I'd welcome the chance to share my understanding.  Just comment below.


Book Chapters:

The changing Face of Evil in Film and Television (At the Interface Probing the Boundaries)
Edgerton, G., Hart, W. B. & Hassencahl, F. (2008). Televising 9/11 and its aftermath. In M. Norden (Ed.), Changing Face of Evil. The Netherlands: Editions Rodopi.

Hart, W. B. (2005). The country connection: Country music, 9/11 and the War on Terrorism. In D. Heller (Ed.), Selling 9/11 (pp. 155-173). London: Palgrave McMillan.
The Selling of 9/11: How a National Tragedy Became a Commodity

Hart,W. B. & Hassencahl, F. (2004). Culture as persuasion: Metaphor as weapson. In L. Artz & Y. R. Kamalipour (Eds.). Bring ‘em On: Media and Politics in the U.S. War on Iraq (pp. 85-100). Lanham, MD: Rowman & Littlefield Publishers.

Hart, W. B. & Hassencahl, F. (2002). Dehumanizing the enemy in editorial cartoons. In B. Greenberg (Ed.). Communication and Terrorism: Public and Media Responses to 9/11 (pp. 137-155). Cresskill, NJ: Hampton Press.


Research Papers Presented at Professional Meetings:

Communication and Terrorism: Public and Media Responses to 9/11 (The Hampton Press Communication Series)Hassencahl F. & Hart, W. B. (November, 2004). Framing the State of the Union: Editorial cartoons and George W. Bush. A panel paper to be presented the National Communication Association Convention, Chicago.


Hassencahl, F. & Hart, W. B. (April, 2003). Move over Hitler: Saddam and bin Laden are our new cartoon villains. A paper presented at the national Popular Culture Association Convention, New Orleans.

Hart, W. B. & Rowland, J. (February, 2003). Songs of 9/11: The meaning and message in the music. A paper presented at the Southwest-Texas Popular Culture Association/American Culture Association Conference, Albuquerque.



See more of my research on my CV.  I know, I need to update it.

See more at my web site WilliamHartPhD.com.






No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment.
Your comment will be reviewed.
If acceptable, it will be posted after it is carefully reviewed. The review process may take a few minutes or maybe a day or two.